Besan Chilla Recipe
- Prep Time - 10 mins
- from Besan
- 1 cup Laxmi Bhog Besan
- ¼ cup finely chopped Onions or 1 small Onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped Tomatoes or 1 small Tomato
- ¼ cup chopped Coriander leaves
- ½ to ⅔ teaspoon finely chopped Green chilies
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped Ginger
- ½ teaspoon Ajwain
- 2 to 3 pinches Turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon Red Chili powder
- ½ to ⅔ cup Water or add as required
- Salt as required
- Oil as required
Cooking Directions -
Making Chilla Batter
- Take the Laxmi Bhog Besan in a mixing bowl.
- Add the onions, tomatoes, ginger, green chilies, turmeric powder, red chili powder, ajwain, coriander leaves and salt.
- First add ½ cup water and with a wired whisk begin to mix.
- If the batter looks thick, then add 1 to 3 tablespoons more water.
- Mix to a smooth flowing consistency in the batter. Break lumps if any while mixing batter.
- Heat a frying pan or a skillet on a low to medium-low heat. You can use an iron skillet or a non-stick pan. If using iron skillet or tawa, then spread a bit of oil on it.
- Let the pan become medium hot. Then take a ladle full of the batter and pour on the pan
- Gently with the back of the ladle, begin to spread the batter.
- Spread lightly and gently so that the chilla does not break.
- On a low flame cook the chilla till the top begins to look cooked.
- Then drizzle ½ to 1 teaspoon oil on the chilla at the edges and all around.
- Continue to cook till the base gets light golden.
- Flip and now cook the other side.
- Cook this side until you see golden spots on the chilla.
- Fold and serve chilla hot or warm. Laxmi Bhog Besan chilla are best had hot. But if you are not able to serve them hot, then place them in a roti basket or casserole. They remain warm and can be served later.
- Enjoy Laxmi Bhog Besan chilla as it is or with a side dip of coriander chutney or mint chutney or any chutney of your choice or with tomato ketchup. You can serve it with plain curd (yogurt) or raita.